WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR GOD? (Exodus 3:13 – 17): By Ben Omoregie
Names are very important. Some people in the church may not know the name of the God they assemble to worship. It is important to know the name of your God.
People may ask you the name of your God, as they did to Jonah the Prophet, (Jonah 1:4-10).
God met Moses by the side of the desert by the burning bush that was not consumed. God called him and Moses answered. God told Moses that He was sending him to bring the children of Israel out of Egypt. Moses asked God for His name so that when the children of Israel asked him he would be able to tell them that this is the name of the Lord God that is sent to them. The Lord told him that His name is, “I am that I am”. – Meaning:
* the unchangeable one,
* the one that never lose a battle,
* the great one and
* the faithful one that never disappoints.
In Exodus 6:2-3, The Lord gave Moses another great revelation about His name He told him that He was known to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob by the name EL-SHADDAI (The Almighty). Meaning The All Sufficient One, (Gen.17:1).
But He told Moses that by His name Jehovah, he did not know Him. Jehovah is His redemptive name and it is a compound name that goes with other names. And this is our focus here:
- Jehovah-shamma – The Lord is there. (Ezekiel.48:35; Matthew 28:20; Matthew 18:20; Isaiah. 43:1-3). Whatever situation you find yourself, remember the Lord is there.
- Jehovah-Shalom – The Lord our peace. – (Judges 6:23-24; Isaiah 53:5; Colossians 1:20; John 14:27). The Lord is our peace, therefore there is nothing to fear.
- Jehovah-Ra-ah – The Lord is my shepherd. – (Psalm 23:1-6; John 10:10-11, 14). The Lord is our great, good and chief shepherd. He cares for all our needs.
- Jehovah-Jireh – The Lord our provider or the Lord will provide. (Genesis 22:14; Philip. 4:19; John 4:10; John 3:16). The Lord is our great provider and He will surely provide for you.
- Jehovah-Nissi -The Lord our Banner or our victor or our captain. – Exodus 17:13-15; 1Corithians 15:57; 2 Corinthians 2:14). In all the battles of life, the Lord will be our captain and He will give us victory.
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu -The Lord our righteousness. – Jeremiah 23:6; 1Corithians 1:30; 2 Corinthians 5:21). The Lord is our righteousness. He is the one that imputes and imparts His righteousness unto us. He frees us from all demonic accusations.
- Jehovah-Rapha-or Jehovah-Ropheka – I am the Lord that heals you or I am the Lord your physician. – (Exodus 15:26; Isaiah 53:3-5; Matthew 8:16-17; 1 Peter 2:24). The Lord is our healer; there is no incurable disease or sickness with Him. He can heal what doctors or medical science cannot handle.
In The New Testament, He is FATHER!
“But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you”, (Matthew 6:6).
“This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, (Matthew 6:9).
He has given us His name and manifested His personality to us in Jesus Christ, He wants us to call on His name when the need arises (Jeremiah 33:3; Isaiah 25:)
But hallow His name (Matt 6:9) and call His name with reverence.
Apostle (Dr.) Ben Omoregie is the General Overseer, Rehoboth Church of Christ Ambassadors & President/Rector, Christ Ambassadors Theological Academy, Lekki, Lagos. firstname.lastname@example.org